My First Experiment with Raw Butternut Squash

Monday, November 13, 2006

November 13, 2006

Now that I am on the east coast, I am opening myself up to new winter foods. I have fell in love with radish, Chinese cabbage, and bokchoy. Who would have thought you could get so much bokchoy on the east coast. The good news is that bokchoy has more calcium than Kale, so the more I can eat it the better.

Anyhow, this morning I made raw butternut squash soup. It was a lot different than I expected. When I tasted it, my initial response was "I can't eat this..." In the soup was butternut squash, an avocado, a whole can of coconut milk, 3 carrots, cinnamon, and maple syrup. I blended these ingredients in my blender for a long time. The texture of it is what threw me. I expected it to be a little more creamy, and it wasn't. It wasn't horrible, just weird. So I warmed the soup a little in a clay plot, and the heat definitely helped.

I ate the soup for lunch and I must say that I am looking forward to eating the rest when I get home. I will share more recipes as my butternut squash techniques improve.

-Brandi

0 comments